Monday, May 23, 2011

What a wonderful man!!

At 83 years of age, he really does not look all the different than he did when I first met him back in the 1970's as a sixth grader.  Yes....my elementary school started band in sixth grade, though some got to start in fifth grade, and I was a very eager learner.  I wanted to play sax, but he needed more clarinets at the time and he said I could easily switch later.  I never did :)  While I learned music theory, music skills and counting under his tenure as a director, more importantly, I learned confidence and I learned that I should never give up and that I should practice until my skills were honed to perfection (or pretty close) .  He had high standards...and pushed us individually and as a group to be our best.  First chair was my goal and I fought to earn it.  I practiced a LOT, attended a lot of festivals and even earned numerous medals for individual and small group performances at competitions in addition to attending all district band a few times.  One of the highest honors I got, was a scholarship to attend a honor band at the University of Georgia one summer to hone my skills along with a few other LHS students.  Mr. Lamborn had chosen ME as a top student.  I was honored and humbled to get to attend.  At one point, I even auditioned for a college scholarship in clarinet....and was offered an opportunity to pursue that, and I am certain that it was because of the love of music and the skills HE taught me.  However, I chose to pursue an academic scholarship and go into early childhood/elementary education instead.....not so far from what he did, but a bit more marketable degree for a single  (at that time) young lady :)  I still found that music worked its way into a LOT of my classroom ventures though!!  And still, to this day, I teach private music lessons.

He had very structured classroom procedures (but with 150+ kids in a class..you HAVE to) and I liked it then (deep down inside--LOL!) and I like it now...so much so, that I use many of the same concepts in my own classroom teaching. 

He had SUCH an impact on so many..such a kind heart...giving to those who needed (but doing so in a way that no one knew..just NOW the stories are pouring out)....giving encouragement to students who except for band probably would not have finished school...giving a place to ALL students...in band it did not matter if you were rich or poor, black or white, straight A's or a struggling student..EVERYONE was important!!  We all worked together :)

This article is a nice one...and long overdue...however.....he did serve 28 years (not 23 as it states)...for a total of about 30 years in public education!  What a difference he made during this time!!!  Teachers, be encouraged!  You CAN and DO make a difference!!!!!

This article  (below) appeared in the Sunday, May 22 Chattanooga, TN paper.  Enjoy!

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2011/may/22/lafayette-band-director-has-earned-enduring-respec/


No comments: