Friday, June 27, 2008

My boldness paid off/what a thrill



Well, I did something today that I am very proud of myself for doing. No, it is not riding the ferris wheel, even though that was quite an experience (but another post for another time). As I am getting older, I think I am getting bolder. A friend mentioned that she was able to change her local cable/internet/phone service to get more features for less money. Well, always the one to look for a bargain, I thought I would check out the company's website and see what they had to offer. Well, needless to say, they had this AWESOME deal for new customers which ended up still being a pretty good deal after the 6 month promotional price ended. I talked to Darrell first and he assured me that I could not get the deal since I was an existing client and no one was able to authorize me to do so. He could add a few features for an additional fee each month, but it was nothing like the deal offered online for new clients. So, I asked Darrell if xxxxxxx company was willing to lose a customer over such a policy. He said he was sorry but there was nothing HE could do.
Normally, at this point, I would have said "thank you" and hung up the phone and been a bit frustrated, but this time I did something a little different. I asked to speak to his supervisor. He assured me that NO ONE could make a change like I asked for, but he'd patch me thru to her. I nicely thanked Darrell and waited about 10 minutes on hold before Destini came on the line. I explained what I wanted and asked why a current customer in good standing could not get the same rate. She apologized, but said she just could not offer it. Evidentally, they had done so in the past, and it became quite a problem for their company. Then, I asked if it would be possible to get that package for the "non promotional rate". Yes, it was $20 more than that rate given to new clients for the first few months, but eventually they got shifted to this rate as well. She spoke to her supervisor and got this approved.
So, we are paying $8 a month less and getting a LOT more stuff...digital preferred, about 50 more channels, encore movie network (not even sure what that is), free long distance, use of the modem and digital receiver for FREE, smart phone (LOTS and LOTS of extra features that I don't currently have) and much more. I was SO pleased that I could get so much more for less money and all it took was asking.

So, like riding the amusement park rides, there was a little 'rush' that came with getting this. Funny thing is...I don't even watch that much TV, but it looks like Bruce will have some additional really neat history related channels to watch and Abigail will probably like the additional kid channels too. I am glad I was a little bolder than I normally would have been. This time, it paid off.


2 comments:

Christy said...

Good for you! I don't know that I would have lasted through a ten minute hold period, which I'm sure is what they count on.

Thanks for commenting on my blog. ;) I'm glad to know you have one too. It's a good way to keep up with people.

Mrs. Laura Aquila, the teacher said...

I have to agree. I am sure that they were hoping I would not hold for that long....but I am pretty determined (aka stubborn) at times. But, it was worth it. We are loving the music channels (especially the contemporary Christian one) and Bruce loves the ESPNU channel as well.