Friday, October 10, 2008

Credit Card scare


Credit Card
Originally uploaded by Gizmo_F
Nerdy me....I was checking our credit card postings to make sure all the vacation stuff had shown up before I paid it off. Since our vacation account is at a different bank, and I can only make so many withdrawals without a penalty, I prefer to wait until I am sure I have the amount right.

Well, as I am looking thru the online statement, I see two unfamiliar charges with credits issued from both companies on Wednesday. I called Bruce and asked if either merchant sounded familiar to him and they did not. The dates/times of transactions did not 'mesh' with our schedules and online time and we knew that no one except for the two of us had the needed info to charge our card. And, these merchants were for services/products that we don't use, and actually that are very opposed to our personal beliefs.

I was quite concerned about this possible security issue, and finally after speaking with Susie at our credit card company, I became convinced that our number had been transposed when entered by the merchant. The very experienced customer service person said that the services/merchants appear to be related in her experience, and probably someone got a 'double' subscription deal in getting both. She also assured us that she sees LOTS of fraud daily and this did not look like fraud at all, especially since they credited the amount back to our account. While she was more than willing to treat it as fraud, she felt that it was not necessary. Instead she suggested that we regularly monitor our account, and if another charge happens to show up, they will overnight us a new card.

Since Bruce just returned from business trip and had used the card extensively for that, it's good that we did not cancel the card today as many of his charges such as hotel, rental car...would have bounced back.

I am glad that is taken care of.....sort of scary to think that our number can be entered by a merchant WITHOUT the security code (which helps prevent these types of errors). So, lesson for today....carefully check your statements. Mistakes DO happen.

No comments: