Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Frankenstein lives at our house???

On Monday, I was just leaving the house to meet my parents in Scottsboro to pick Abigail up when I got a phone call. I love Bruce dearly (and I know him pretty well too after almost 20 years of marriage) and when he calls with a certain tone in his voice, I know that the news to follow might be a bit 'bad.'

Well, he was at the gym working out around 11:30 (on his lunch break)...and he put a pin into one of arm/upper back machines. The pin did not go in all the way, but he thought nothing of it and starting lifting.

From what I can piece together, the pin popped out on the first lift. The 'handle bar' had a 'lip' on it that extended out a bit. The sudden change of weight made Bruce lose control and the lip hit him in the head. He started bleeding profusely.

He showered first and then the gym manager helped him clean the wound out and bandage it once he was dressed and otherwise clean. He also told Bruce he should probably see a doctor as it looked like stitches might be required.

This is the point at which he called me....so I anxiously waited to hear about when he might see the doctor or if he needed to go to 'urgent care' instead.

The doctor's office reopened at 1:45 p.m., but they could not see him until about 3:30 p.m. Of course, being curious Bruce, he removed the bandage to see what the wound looked like and of course, it started bleeding yet again.

He ended up with four stitches in his head, near the hairline. He did not need a tetanus shot since he'd had one about a year ago.

I relayed the story of the injury to my parents and Abigail....and her first question was, "Will Daddy look like Frankenstein with stitches in his head?" I guess in her mind, that's what you look like when you have a head injury. I had to giggle and tell her that his stitches would be much smaller.

He is doing well now.....still a bit sore, but nothing that tylenol or advil won't take care of. I'll spare you the 'gory' photo, but being the scrapbooker that I am, you can rest assured that his story and a photo of his stitched up wound will make their way into our scrapbook for 2008.

3 comments:

Aubrey said...

Don't you dread hearing what comes when that certain voice is what you hear? Praying for Bruce's head. Hehehe, plus that was just fun to say. :)

Christy said...

Poor Bruce. It could've been worse, I suppose. Funny that Abigail asked that question. Of course kids have a unique way of thinking. I don't know that my kids know what Frankenstein looks like. If they ever ask I'll just tell them he looks like I do in the mornings before I've had coffee! They'll understand. ;0)

Mrs. Laura Aquila, the teacher said...

It IS funny how kids think:) I think Abigail must have watched some old silent movies with Bruce and got an image from that...or maybe Scooby Doo???