Monday, May 25, 2009

Don't Laugh


Breast Cancer Ribbon
Originally uploaded by justclaire

Abigail and I have a goal....yes...I know you won't believe it, but we are going to run a 5K race this fall. The race supports breast cancer..those who have survived it (including my mother in law and many others I know) and those who did not.

Now, here's the funny part....at the time of the race, I will be close to my 43rd birthday and I have NEVER run a race before. I have been walking a lot for 2 years and have hit the 35 pounds 'lost' mark recently. I still have about 20 pounds I would like to lose and will be working diligently on that this summer...by eating a lot of fresh fruits and veggies that are in season and ramping up my exercise.

So, yes, I have set a goal....one that seems impossible to me.......because even as a young person, I could never run...it always hurt too much--LOL! But, this is a goal we have...so my nine year old (well, she'll be newly ten at the time of the race) and I will be training and working hard to run with a huge group of ladies.

Be on the lookout for more updates....I am sure there will be some funny stories to come out of this :)

Now.....off to get the needed supplies......I don't even have running shoes (only walking ones)...and there is more....but I won't mention that here.....

3 comments:

Pam said...

Good for you for setting goals. THis is a great cause. However, I have always been of the opinion that you should never run unless something is chasing you. : ) I'd have to just walk the fivek. lol

Christy said...

I do admire you, you know. Just don't be asking me to train with you. My admiration does not run that deep. HA! "Run that deep"! I crack myself up.

Aubrey said...

Not laughing at all! You go, Girl! Hubs & I are running a 5k in August. I used to run all the time, but not since, oh, about 2004. Happy training!