Tuesday, September 9, 2008

a change of direction.....

I have to say, that I am learning a lesson that I never would have expected to learn. It is OKAY to go with a change of direction....a change from my plan or way of thinking things should be:)

I thought I understood this...when we did not get pregnant after years of trying and we chose to adopt. Our plan.....to get pregnant after five years of marriage and have 2 or 3 children a couple of years apart. GOD'S PLAN--to become parents after a bit more than ten years of marriage by adopting a daughter. Our plan--to adopt at least two children. GOD'S PLAN--at least for now...to parent the one child He has blessed us with

I thought I understood this....when I lost contact with four very close friends years ago due to distance and life's circumstances. My plan....to stay in touch and visit all the time and keep the relationship as close as it had ever been. GOD'S PLAN--to bring me new friendships at that time and to renew these old ones (ALL FOUR OF THEM;) years later.

I could go on, but I am thankful to be learning that it is okay...actually, even BETTER, to go with God's plan instead of mine. I can look back on the past changes in direction, and many times, in hindsight, I see God's hand at work and I understand why He chose to have my path go a different direction than what I had hoped.

Last night I had a change of plans....and while I can say it was not a "big" issue, it could (and in the past WOULD) have been frustrating for me. A friend asked me to do a 'speaking engagement' for homeschool moms at her cover group/co-op. I prepared and arrived only to learn that only 2 of the people who said they were coming would actually be there. The alarm which was supposed to be unarmed was not....so we got caught in the loud screeching for at least 15 minutes before we could get someone to give us a code to stop it. I did not get to do my activities as planned because I really needed at least 5 or 6 to do what I had planned. BUT, God ordained that crazy evening. I have a really fun presentation to do for moms when the opportunity arises. AND, I got to meet and fellowship with other homeschooling moms who are believers and that was fun:)

So, if the weather does not cooperate with my plans or someone needs me to be elsewhere or an illness arises, I am learning to take a deep breath....do not be pressured and anxious about the change....go with the flow...don't get my feathers ruffled......God ordained this change of plans to teach me something or to bring someone across my path or maybe to have me avoid a situation that would not be for my good. Looking at it that way......I am learning to be relaxed more of the time.

No comments: