Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Pour out your heart like water.....

"Pour out your heart like water before the face of the Lord. Lift your hands toward Him for the life of your children." This verse from Lamentations 2:19 has really spoken to me recently. It is the 'theme verse' of Stormie Omartian's book...The Power of a Praying Parent.

It has been encouraging to me to read this book, and I am just getting started really. One point she has made is that if we are praying, something is happening, whether we can see it or not.

Now, I am a gal who sometimes struggles with "faith" and the unseen, because my mind likes to see what's down the road and what the plan is. But, with my child, my spouse, my friendships, my job.....really anything in my life, faith is so critical because it is rare that we see His plan in its fullness---up front anyway.

There is a family situation that has been ongoing for some time, and this thought....God IS working....has been a comfort to me recently. It has been a good reminder to me, because I don't see things improving and of course Satan LOVES to create and encourage doubt.

Another reminder Stormie has was that God reveals things to us when we ask. She says this in reference to making a master prayer list for each child (and I would say for each significant person in your life). She sets aside time each year at her beach vacation to pray for each child and to ask God to reveal to her ways to pray for each child during the year. And, of course, God is so faithful to answer and reveal to her what she needs to pray for. Of course, during the year, things may need to be added as situations arise, but I like the idea of having a list to guide at least part of my prayer time for my child.

She also says, "Possibly the hardest part of praying for our children, is waiting for our prayers to be answered." That is SO true in my life with my child and others as well. She goes on to say that "Instead of giving up, resolve to be even more committed to pray." That is a tough one, but I am trying to put that into practice. And, as a final statement, she says that we should pray through until we see the answer. Again, that is a tough one.

If you have children of your own or just children that you love (and especially if you know no one is praying for them), consider this a challenge from Stormie to pray for them. Everyone needs prayer.....and your prayers may have a much longer lasting effect than you can even imagine.

1 comment:

Christy said...

I agree with you about it not being easy to pray. I have found that since I've been involved with a prayer group it has helped me in my personal prayer time as well. Sometimes hearing how others pray is beneficial. One of the ladies I pray with has been involved with Mom's In Touch for years, and she really knows how to pray! It's exciting, encouraging and refreshing. So I guess I'm encouraging you to join a prayer group if you haven't already! ;0)