Saturday, August 16, 2008

A week in review.....

I know my most recent posts have been scattered in topic, and this will be no different. But, for those of you who know me well, you will admit that while I 'can' multitask, I can also be very focused (in other words, I can go either direction depending on the situation or my mood:). So, I guess I am just being myself......kinda scary, huh?



From one of my current Bible study readings (Power of a Praying Parent), I have been focusing on 'honoring parents and resisting rebellion'. She focuses on the fact that our children must be taught....a deliberate action.....to honor us as parents. These quotes caught my attention and I'd love to hear your thoughts too. "Rebellion is actually pride put into action." and "Pride gets us into rebellion, but stubbornness is what keeps us there." While this sounds really bad (and it is) the encouraging part is that we should not be intimidated by a rebellious spirit because Jesus is Lord above and beyond that. Our prayers make a difference. One of the lines in the prayer says, "Lord, make my child (insert name) uncomfortable with sin. Help him/her know the beauty and simplicity of walking with a sweet and humble spirit in obedience and submission to You."



Speaking of children, I must say that I don't see this attitude in Abigail all that often. Most of the time, she is a very sweet and kind and entertaining child. A little over a year ago, she felt the need to ask Jesus into her heart and I know that has made a difference. I saw some immediate changes in the way she responded to things, but in other areas, she has room for improvement. (Don't we all??) I am so grateful that I can pray for my child and my spouse and many many others....and it DOES make a difference.



Bouncing along to another topic......on Friday afternoons I teach a class at Wall Hwy. Christian Academy. I have a very small class, only four children, but they are really great kids and I am enjoying it. The mix of children is SO good and they really want to learn and ALL of them ask questions, so that makes it even more fun. One child asked the difference between a Democrat and Republican yesterday.....boy, was that hard to answer on a kid's level. Then another child asked me HOW the election outcome was decided. Last week I had touched on the topic of the electoral college and how it was possible for someone to get more total votes, but still lose an election. Needless to say that caused a bit of confusion in this child's mind. But, they ARE thinking and asking good questions, and that really makes things a lot of fun. For next week, they are going to think about how to create a poster/collage to show why they would be a good president. I am sure they will come up with some awesome ideas.



Bruce returned from Mississippi yesterday. He had a nice drive back into town, then worked until pretty late last night. We managed to get him to take a break and join us for dinner at Cracker Barrel, before returning to try to finish things up. Even though he did not solve the problem, he has now identified it clearly, so maybe finding the answer will be easier. And, he also informed me that he will be going back to Mississippi the week of Abigail's birthday...driving in and returning just as Abigail's birthday party starts. Thankfully the party is near his work/I-565 so he won't have to come all the way home.



We have had a good week....our first full week back to school with classes at home and at WHCA. I have pretty much recovered from my sinus infection, and I am grateful for that too. We have a nice relaxing weekend planned, and I am looking forward to that as well.

No comments: