Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Diagnosis......hot spot

This morning when I went into the bonus room to get Princess out of her crate, I noticed her eyes were very "icky" as though she had allergies or an infection in them. Then, I noticed a smell. As I followed her (and Allie) outside, I saw that the fur on the whole side of her face was matted and there was a foul smelling discharge. I called the vet and they wanted to take a look. She got the spa treatment....a bath and brush, anal glands expressed, a shave on the side of her face, and a high powered shot as well as oral and topical antibiotics. We just picked her up a little while ago. This was taken on the way home, when I was stopped at the red light.
The diagnosis was "hot spot". This looks pretty bad...I know, but they shaved the area where she was scratching and applied medicine. Evidentally, labs get these hot spots pretty frequently and they will scratch to try to relieve the itching (I guess it's like a heat rash for us....prickly and itchy.) They also happen suddenly from what I was told. So, I will just keep her doctored up and try to keep her indoors a little more during the day and hopefully we can avoid any more problems.

By the way, she is loving the staying inside part. She and Allie usually stay outside most of the day and come in at night to sleep. OH, and she has lost a pound...she's only 101 pounds now!!!!!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh, my. I guess it looks a lot worse than it is. I hope it heals quickly for her. I bet she IS loving the staying inside part! Hopefully she is also getting some relief from all that itching as well.

Christy said...

Poor thing. At least she has great owners who take such good care of her.