Saturday, July 19, 2008

Healing from the past.....

"Often some of the worst memories of our past have to do with things people have said that hurt or embarrassed us. Being called unflattering names, being falsely accused of something we didn't do, or being rejected can haunt us for a lifetime. But if you ask God to release you from such negative memories, He will. This doesn't mean that God will give you amnesia when it comes to negative memories, but He will take away their sting to the extent that you can completely forget them unless you need to recall them for the pupose of ministering to someone else. God will also help you forgive the people involved so that you no longer have to endure the pain. Pray this for your husband as well as yourself."

This quote came from lesson 7 in the study guide of The Power of a Praying Wife by Stormie Omartian. It really made me stop and think....and also feel very compelled to post it here. Since I don't teach a Bible study or a Sunday School class, I don't get to "stir the pot" on such hot topics. But, I figure I can do that here:)

I'll start by saying I am pretty 'forgetful'. In talking with others, I find that I remember very few details of past disagreements....once they are settled, I tend to forget the details and just remember that we had a bump in the road but it's all okay now. I am thankful for my forgetfulness, because I have observed that remembering the details causes the people I know to relive the hurt so many times. Yes, there are some things I remember the details of....but not too many. But, I like her idea....specifically praying for release from those memories. I guess I had never thought of that before.

I'd love to hear your comments. I am still 'chewing' on this one.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

That is good that you tend to be 'forgetful' and not remember a lot of details about disagreements. I am one that tends to remember a good bit and even when I think I am over it if something else happens then everything else comes back. I have asked God to help me forgive someone before and He has done that but I guess I never thought of asking him to release me from the negative memories of different things. Thanks for sharing. Definitely something to think about.

Mrs. Laura Aquila, the teacher said...

Like you Michelle, I never thought of asking God for release from those memories. It kind of seems like common sense, but well...it just never occurred to me.

Aubrey said...

That common sense thing gets me a lot. I am often surprised by how simple things seem when other people (especially my kids!!) say them and kick myself for not thinking of it on my own. (pride?!?) I tend to be very practical, and like you, it never occurred to me to pray for that release until I did this study. And, like you, I tend to be forgetful for the most part. But for those things that somehow manage to stick with me, I am finding that the Lord will release them if I just ask. So very simple.

Christy said...

I'm sorta "chewing" on this same issue. However, I'm struggling more with why, if God forgives us and forgets, I can't forget, too! I can't get my brain wrapped around the idea that God wants me to minister to others b/c of my past pain, and yet God doesn't want me to live in the past. I'm sure I'm not explaining this very well, but like I said, I can't get my brain wrapped around it just yet.