Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Where did June go?

Just wondering, but where did the month of JUNE go??? Have we really been done with full time school for over a month? Have we actually had a vacation (which was a visit with family in Georgia as opposed to a beach or Disney experience)? Those 30 days seemed to speed by and so many days and parts of days just cannot be accounted for.

Actually that is a little sad to me. As I get older, I find that I cannot remember the details of my days like I used to be able to. Thankfully, I have an eight year old whose memory is not cluttered like mine...so she remembers EVERYTHING....even those things I wish she would not remember. But, to think that unless I read back over a blog or my Joni Erikson Tada day planner, I cannot remember what happened on a particular day or group of days, it is a little saddening....because I guess I did not take time to appreciate the little things that would make that day stand out in my mind.

My prayer is that July will be a bit more memorable. Today was a good day. While Abigail was at soccer camp, I had a chance to reconnect with a former student of mine. MEH was one of my third graders back in the early to mid 1990's, so she is now in her 20's. This young lady has faced a WORLD of challenges both physically and mentally, but she has such a wonderful attitude and wants to be helpful. She calls me frequently and asks if she can help me with anything, but it seems that between her activities and illnesses and our busy schedule here, we don't find too many days that will work. Well, about 2 weeks ago, I realized that today, July 1, would work for both of us. So, I dropped Abigail off at soccer camp, then picked MEH up from her home. She and I worked alongside each other for about 2.5 hours...dusting, wiping counters, wiping blinds, vacuuming.....basically a very belated spring cleaning. I still have some chores left to do, but the mopping and other touchups will still be waiting on me tomorrow. For today, I have the memories of working alongside a very positive young lady while listening to the Gaithers (her favorite) and singing along.

Yes, I think I will remember July 1 for a long time.

No comments: