Monday, July 7, 2008

Random thoughts

I know it is not apparent by this photo, but Abigail is actually on the high dive. She is a pretty brave little gal (I would NOT be up there...no way......no how!!), but she got scared. Maybe because she saw me taking photos??? Probably because it was a good bit higher than she is used to???

But, finally, after much coaxing, she did jump. (At this pool, due to safety issues, you are not allowed to climb down the ladder once you have gone up.) As soon as she 'got it over with' she went right back to the low dive multiple times and with no fear at all. It made me stop and think.....what can we learn from this?

Perhaps, even when we know everything will be okay, we just have a hard time falling into the deep water because of fear....rational or not. God is there....He loves us and He will protect us...but how many times have I let fear keep me from taking a leap? While Abigail was in her comfort zone on the low dive and went back to that immediately afterwards, I wonder how many times I have just hidden and failed to even do the little things that I am pretty comfortable with.

While you won't be seeing me on the high dive or low dive for that matter (I am not a good swimmer), I do hope you will see me taking those steps of faith up the ladder of the high dive...trying something a little scary and out of my comfort zone, knowing that God will be there. And, I also hope you will see me taking those little steps on the low dive too......again, being willing to step out a little bit and do what I enjoy doing and what God wants me to do.

This is Oreo, our neighbor's cat. He is SO funny. He thinks he lives here, and we'll often find him napping in our flower bed or garage if we leave up the door. It is my prayer that our home will always be that comfortable for people too.....that a person feels he/she can come here, relax, enjoy a meal (okay, I DO sneak him some tuna from time to time), and be themselves, maybe even stay a night or longer if needed. God has blessed us with so much...and we feel that if He wants our home to be a haven for others, we will not get in His way.

No comments: