Sunday, July 13, 2008

To be or not to be....a wheel

Our Sunday School teacher made a very interesting statement this morning and I am trying to decide if I fully agree with his analogy...or maybe if a slightly modified version would work better.

He stated that instead of thinking of serving God as a "to do" list with things numbered in order, we should picture a wheel. God is the center of the wheel and everything else we "do" is a spoke on the wheel. He said that sometimes the spoke called family hits a bump and we slow down and spend more time there or perhaps it will be the spoke called job or friends. There is pressure on the wheel depending on the resisitance on the road at that point. All said, GOD is the center of everything we do....we don't just "do" our "God stuff" and check it off the list. Everything we do in life (family, friends, work, hobbies...) relates back to God..or should.


I like that....but in my mind, the spokes are all the same. (in the image that is) So, if that image holds true, family is no more important than a hobby or friends are no more important than work. And, I just cannot reconcile that in my mind, as I feel strongly that God wants our families to be second only to Him.

So, I am trying to think of a new image. I am a very visual learner...can you tell?? I even went out to look at my van tires and my DD's bicycle tires. But, so far....no new image?

Anyone????? Or am I way off base here???

4 comments:

Aubrey said...

No ideas, but it is and interesting analogy. One that will be processing in my mind for a bit. Whose class are you in? I might like to pick somebody's brain...

Mrs. Laura Aquila, the teacher said...

We are in Kerry St. John's class. He is currently teaching. Sometimes Bruce or Brian Landrum teach a series....so it usually ends up that Kerry teaches a couple of months, then each of the others do the same. But, this was Kerry's lesson......

Anonymous said...

I find myself agreeing with Kerry in that the priorities in our lives aren't accurately arranged in a pyramid or a target with circles ever more distant from the center. On the other hand, I agree with you that "everything else" isn't on an equal footing.

Are you familiar with "tag clouds?" I've been labeling my del.icio.us bookmarks with one word "tags" that let me to go back and search through them easily at a later time. A website named "Wordle" allows me to get a good visual image of my tags by displaying them so that the most common tags have the largest font. You can click on this link to see what my Wordle looks like this morning: http://wordle.net/gallery/wrdl/71202/Tim's_Today

I wonder what my priorities would look like as a tag cloud? If I labeled everything that I did with one word tags, would God be in a place of prominence?

Mrs. Laura Aquila, the teacher said...

Very interesting, Tim G. I am thinking this might help me picture this concept a little better. This is new to me. Thanks for sharing.